Tuesday, October 10, 2017

All their bags are packed. They're ready to go!


Change is good. Right? 
This week we say good-bye to
 the Parrelas
 (Adalton & Delgia) 

They will be returning home to Florianopolis on Thursday. We will miss them a lot. We will miss their enthusiasm, stories, wheelings and dealings, humor, and dedication to the Lord.


Friday was our last "triple" date night. We let Adalton pick the place since we were also celebrating his birthday.
Since he's Brazilian and loves to eat, guess where we ended up?





He was a very happy birthday boy!!



And now for your
Word of the Week
Jabuticaba
(jaw-boo-chi-kaw-buh)
(Also known as the Brazilian Grape Tree) 
Found in Southern Brazil, this has got to be one of the weirdest trees in the world. The grape-like fruit grows directly on its trunk instead of on its branches. The fruit looks like big purple grapes. The "natives" think that Jubuticaba fruit is delicious! 


The fruit does taste a little bit like a grape. And just like a grape, all you do is put one in your mouth and bite down to pop it open. The soft pulp is sweet and delicious. If you chew the skin you will find it is quite acidic. (I can vouch for that!) Many people find the skin a bit tough and spit it out along with the seeds. (A very smart idea!)
I am really glad I got to try this unusual fruit, but I probably won't miss it that much when I go home.


3 comments:

  1. Love reading your stories elder and Sister McClellan! I do hope you are enjoying Brazil! I love Batel Grill it is one of my favorite restaurants in Curitiba!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the strangest fruit I have ever seen! Definitely one that Michael needs to try! He loves unusual fruit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the strangest fruit I have ever seen! Definitely one that Michael needs to try! He loves unusual fruit :)

    ReplyDelete